NAT10695 Certificate IV in TESOL
Want to teach?
Study your government-accredited Certificate IV in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). This Cert IV in TESOL is developed under the Australian Qualifications Framework.
Develop your skills and experience in teaching spelling, grammar, pronunciation, reading and writing. This course is internationally recognised and can be used to help gain employment overseas. It can be completed at your own pace through our Distance Learning delivery mode with the support of highly qualified and experienced TESOL Teachers who will give you feedback on your work and support you through your studies.
The TEACH International Certificate IV in TESOL consists of the following:
- 9 Core Units studied through online, theory-based learning.
- 1 Elective Unit of online, theory-based learning. For more information on your options please Click Here
- 990 hours in total: Theory and Assessment: 628 hours and Practical Assessment: 300 hours
The Communicative Method of language teaching is currently recognised as the most appropriate way of promoting students’ listening and speaking abilities and our graduates are specifically trained to provide optimum opportunities for interaction and communication in the classroom.
IMPORTANT: This course is 'Current' and IS NOT IN TEACH OUT
Delivery method: Distance learning + local Prac-teaching
Start dates: Weekly
Duration: Students have 12 months to complete this course. Extensions are available
The best of both worlds, our blended-learning model combines the convenience of online learning. As part of the Nationally Accredited Certificate IV in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) students are required to complete the 990 hours which involves 628 hours for theory and assessment and 300 hours for practical assessment. Our learning model allows you to complete the course online at your own pace, while you build up real skills. It is a self-paced and takes a minimum of 12 months to complete (eg 20 hours per week x 52 weeks)
The successful achievement of this qualification requires you to complete:
- 9 Core Units
- 1 Elective Unit
- 628 hours of theory and assessment and 300 hours for practical assessment
- TESCIE001 - Create a culturally inclusive learning environment
- TESGAE001 - Use the genre approach to teach English
- TESTEG001 - Teach English grammar
- TESTSP001 - Teach spelling and pronunciation
- TESTSE001 - Teach speaking
- TESTLE001 - Teach listening
- TESTRE001 - Teach reading
- TESTWE001 - Teach writing
- TESDRF001 - Develop resource files
- TESECL001 – Teach ESL to early childhood learners
- TESPSL001 – Teach ESL to primary school-aged learners
- TESTAL001 - Teach ESL to teenage learners
- TESMAD001 – Use music, art and drama in TESOL
- TESTEC001 – Use technology to assist ESL learning
- TESWWV001 – Work with volunteers in ESL contexts
- TESCBC001 – Establish community based English classes
You need to have a sound level of ability in written and spoken English. Any of the following will be accepted as evidence:
- High School report results from year 12 level English or International equivalent
- Senior Certificate showing a sound achievement (or above) in English
- Completion of a tertiary level (Certificate III or higher qualification) Qualification (this must have been studied /completed in English)
- Letter of endorsement of very good English competency from an employer, for example, where workplace documents have been produced.
- If you are unable to provide evidence of English proficiency, please contact us to discuss what options are available. You may be asked to participate in an interview over the phone or face to face.
- Email and online support from expert and qualified TESOL Teachers
- Electronic TESOL text book (hard copy text books are also available for only $120)
- Online student learning resources
- 24/7 access to your Student Portal where you can download your learning resources and submit your assessments
- A desktop or laptop computer (Smart Phones will not be suitable)
- Internet Access and ability to browse and search the internet
- Microsoft WORD or a compatible software application
- Basic skills in using MS Word
- An email address and ability to receive and send email
- Access to a printer and scanner
Payments are made in 2 instalments.
- 1st instalment of $200 has to be deposited at the time of enrolment
- Remaining amount can be deposited in 2nd instalment
As part of the course, you will take part in a practice teaching experience where you observe an experienced trainer teaching English, and then actually plan and deliver your own English as a Second Language (ESL) lessons. You will be required to demonstrate that you have the skills required to put the theory of the course into practice. Your teaching will be observed by a qualified ESL teacher who will be able to provide you with feedback and support to help develop your teaching ability. At the end of the course, we want you to feel confident in your ability to teach when you enter an ESL classroom.
During your practical placement you will get to:
- Observe teaching strategies and techniques
- Gather lots of ideas for your own lessons
- Know the ESL students that you will be teaching and get an idea of their current English proficiency level/s and their needs
- Test what delivery style works best for you and the ESL students you teach
- Apply what you learn in the course to real life situations
It will be your responsibility to find a placement organisation, however, your course coordinator will provide some direction to assist you to find a suitable Practice Teaching situation. In some cases you may need to be willing to do things such as:
- Travel some distance each week to the organisation that you will be doing your practical placement with.
- Take some time off from work each week or for a short period sometime during your enrolment, in order to attend your practical placement.
- You may need to allow for travel and accommodation costs if suitable situations are only located a significant distance from home.
10695NAT– Certificate IV in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) students complete 12 hours of practical placement (observation & practice teaching) with a minimum of 6 hours practice teaching.
Your place at your pace!
Our Certificate IV of TESOL is delivered to you all online, with no classroom attendance required (except for the practice teaching component). Upon enrolling, you will be provided access to your Student Portal .
Through the Student Portal you will have:
- 24/7 access to your Learning Resources, Study Guides and Assessments
- Access to qualified Tutors & Support