FAQs about Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

When teaching English to public or higher education positions, you need to have a master’s degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) or another course related to this field. You need to see job listings when you want to see what type of education and certification several jobs require. The TESOL acronym of any organisation or any certificate indicates the field as a whole and doesn’t mean that it is connected to any association. TESOL doesn’t allow endorsement, lend its name or logo to an organisation. It has no institutional members, but it is an individual membership association.

What are the differences of TESL, TEFL, and TESOL?

TESL means teaching English as a second language which refers to programs in English-speaking countries for individuals whose first language is other than English. While TEFL refers to teaching English as a foreign language with programs in other countries of which English is not their primary language and is not a lingua franca. Ultimately TESOL is a general term for the teaching English which TESL and TEFL are included.

What certification is needed to teach ESL/EFL?

No one can teach ESL/EFL unless they have a certificate or a degree or a license in TESOL. Generally, the minimum requirement and qualification to teach English internationally are a bachelor’s degree and TEFL or TESL certificates. It also depends on the place where you are going to teach.

What is a TESL, TEFL, or TESOL certificate?

There are a lot of institutions that offer these three teaching certificates. They can provide programs when you enrol and try complete a TESL, TEFL or TESOL course. Graduate and independent certificates are the two types of certificate programs. Both require to have a bachelor’s degree, but many institutions offer certificate programs with different prerequisites.

Does it require to speak the language of a country to teach ESL/EFL?

Technically, it doesn’t require to speak a second language in the field of TESOL but for individuals who want to teach, it is beneficial for them to thoroughly communicate with them and understand their culture. It is not necessarily required to speak the language of the country you wish to teach, but learning and speaking their language will make you comfortable and makes your work easy.

With all these FAQs about Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), you can learn and understand how important it is to know every single detail of this field. It is essential to conduct a research on what you love most, especially in the teaching field to be efficient in your career. While with Teach International, we can give you reliable and trusted TESOL certificates that will help you in teaching. Contact us for Accredited TESOL Australia and enrol to get your certificate!


1 Comment

  1. https://highlandadventure.net/ on January 13, 2018 at 4:46 pm

    great submit, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts of this sector don’t understand this.
    You should continue your writing. I’m confident,
    you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

Leave a Comment