As part of the course, you will take part in a practice teaching experience where you observe an experienced trainer teaching English, and then actually plan and deliver your own English as a Second Language (ESL) lessons. You will be required to demonstrate that you have the skills required to put the theory of the course into practice. Your teaching will be observed by a qualified ESL teacher who will be able to provide you with feedback and support to help develop your teaching ability. At the end of the course, we want you to feel confident in your ability to teach when you enter an ESL classroom.
Students must Successfully complete ALL Theory Units prior to commencing Practical Placement. This will ensure learners have sufficient knowledge to be adequately prepared for their Practical Placement.
During your practical placement you will get to:
- Observe teaching strategies and techniques
- Gather lots of ideas for your own lessons
- Know the ESL students that you will be teaching and get an idea of their current English proficiency level/s and their needs
- Test what delivery style works best for you and the ESL students you teach
- Apply what you learn in the course to real life situations
It will be your responsibility to find a placement organisation, however, your course coordinator will provide some direction to assist you to find a suitable Practice Teaching situation. In some cases you may need to be willing to do things such as:
- Travel some distance each week to the organisation that you will be doing your practical placement with.
- Take some time off from work each week or for a short period sometime during your enrolment, in order to attend your practical placement.
- You may need to allow for travel and accommodation costs if suitable situations are only located a significant distance from home.
10695NAT – Certificate IV in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) students complete 12 hours of practical placement (observation & practice teaching) with a minimum of 6 hours practice teaching.
10688NAT – Diploma of TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) students complete 20 hours of practical placement (observation & practice teaching) with a minimum of 10 hours practice teaching.