Teaching in education can be defined as sharing knowledge and experiences with individuals or any students. With the help of our dedicated teachers, we can learn something new and develop our skills and knowledge. English language teaching is one of the popular teaching jobs and the demand for English teachers around the world is rapidly increasing. And with regards to English, here are some interesting facts about the English language.
Amazing facts that you might not know
- Did you know that “enneacontakaienneagon” is a word from the English language? And the meaning of this word is just as strange as the word itself. The word means: a shape with ninety-nine sides
- The word “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” is not the longest word in the English Language. This word means fantastic that was popularized by the movie Mary Poppins and this was added eventually to the dictionary. But there is another word longer than this one, “Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis” is a lung disease that develops when inhaling dust and ash.
- Every two hours, a new word is added to the dictionary. At this rate, almost 4,000 new words are added every year!
- The word “girl” was not used to mention a specific gender. It was used to refer a child or a young person regardless of the gender.
- The phrase “I am” is the shortest complete sentence in the English Language.
- Did you encounter the word “pangram”? It is a sentence or phrase that contains all the letters of the alphabet. Example: “ Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs”.
- There are words in the dictionary that mean nothing. These words appeared in the dictionary because of printing errors. “Dord” is a nonexistent word in the dictionary that appeared for eight years in the mid-20th century and became known as a ghost word.
- The word “SWIMS” will be SWIMS even turned and read upside down. This kind of words is call ambigrams.
There are a lot of amazing facts about the English language. For teachers, it can be used in English language teaching for students to learn something new and exciting. Did you learn something new? If you have any questions or reactions about this, you can comment below!